Monday, January 28, 2013

It Is NEVER All DONE!

Mama Worthy and Friend
As all of you know, I am big, Big, BIG into Family History!!!  This weekend I attended my Stake Relief Society Conference.  One of the classes I attended was about how to use Google Search to get better results to find information for family history.  This got the wheels in my head turning!

As soon as I got home I relayed all the information I had learned about it to my family members.  Oddly enough, my Grandma was actually working on a Google Search information handout for her family history class.  She shared the handout with me and I was able to learn even more.

Today I decided to put into practice what I had learned, I was especially excited to see if any of my ancestors' pictures that I have would pop up as being recognized in Google Image Search.  I was sad to find that the pictures were not turning up any other pictures of the individuals.  I thought about what I could do about that.

2nd Great Grandparents
About 4 years ago my Grandma, Juanita Worthy Peeler, died and left me her family history legacy.  Included in this was loads of pictures!  I have done nothing with these pictures since I received them.  Today that all changed.  With the help of my P A F file and Picasa, I uploaded about 40 pictures today to findagrave.com. The memorials for these individuals had already been created and many of them had obituaries and pictures of headstones attached, most of them however, had no picture of the person.  I went through and attached the picture of the person that I had to their memorial.  What a joy!  I'm hoping my kin in South Carolina start searching for their ancestors and find my pictures and can have the knowledge of what their ancestors looked like!

After adding the pictures to findagrave.com, I then jumped over to familysearch.org/tree and added the findagrave.com memorials as sources to the corresponding people.  Now if someone is looking at them in familysearch.org/tree, they can click on the findagrave.com source, see the person's headstone and their picture!

One thing I learned at the Family History class is that it is never all done!  The internet changes every day, new images are being indexed every day.  I challenge everyone to look through their family history materials and see if there is something that can be added to the internet to shine more light on that individual's life.  If not to the internet, than at least to other family members so they can know of that ancestor as well.



I am so grateful for the spirit of Elijah in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment